Saturday, May 07, 2005

My First Interview

Final Year Project was submitted; exam, wrapped; resume, created and countless job-online- applications, sent. But my first job interview wasn't from online applications. I learnt about it from my friend. Mega Media was looking for an editor and a cameraman to work on a new show for ArtCentral.

Previously, I had applied to intern at Mega Media; it was my favourite choice back then. I was selected for an interview but wasn't offered the job(two ladies from my school were selected. Previous batch too ladies were selected...).

Here I was again sitting in a Mega Media office(the new office which is situated next to Bugis MRT). An interviewer is my friend from the same scholarship and the same batch too. So it was more like a chat.

I was pretty confident that I would get the job(production assistant). Yeah eveyone could do the job. My friend said she would show my showreel to her boss(the very same guy who interviewed me years ago) and also persuade him to pay more than 1500 for the job I've applied for.

The next day, she called me with the news; the company couldn't hire me because I dint have a work permit.

Technically, the company could employ and apply for work permit for me. But I guess, it is too troublesome for them to do so. I can't apply it myself. Only employers can apply for their employees. However, very few companies are willing to do that because there are lots of responsibilies they have to bear. So lots of companies want to employ only those who have already prossessed the work permit.

So for now, I have to look for those very few companies who are willing to apply for the work permit for me.

No comments: