Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Odd Couples

See if it will work for a documentary.

What is considered 'odd' or ' normal'?

Is love not enough?

Isn't love supposed to be wonderful thing?

Is it wrong if I'm a man to love another man?

Is it wrong if I'm a prostitute to love someone and to be loved?

Is it wrong if I'm an old lady to love a young boy?

Is it strange/odd if I'm physically disabled to love someone and to be loved?

Is it strange/odd if I'm Chinese to love a Malay girl?

Is it wrong/strange/odd.....?


On the way home one day, I saw one of my acquaintance, working at the department where my project is situated, speaking to a girl. I asked my driver (not exactly my driver; he's a project driver but he picks me up in the morning and transports me home after work. Yeah, well, I like to call him my driver): "Is that girl his girlfriend".

"Not his girlfriend; she's his wife," he replied.

"His wife!?" I asked with a surprise. "Since when have they been married?"

"Hmmm..." he hesitated. "They are not married; they just live together. You know, a girl is a prostitute."

"Are you serious?" I asked with more surprises.

"Yup. Everyone in the department knows about it but has been told to keep the mouth shut," he continued. "And he has been kicked out of the department's house because of this. He's been ordered not to bring a girl anywhere near the office or he will be sacked."

"How could that happen, I mean, how did they get together?" I asked innocently.

"Well, he was first her regular client. I guess, he was impressed with her service and got hooked...But she has given up her 'career' since they have been together," he chuckled.

The following day I came to the office and asked his co-workers about this 'odd' affair. Apparently, they have been making fun of him and his wife. He doesn't seem to care very much. This guy is ready to give up everything just to be with this girl whom 'the right mind' person would think twice to be associated with. He knows he would not be given any promotion for his job. He knows his friends will pester him non-stop. He knows his family will shun him. He knows society will not accept this. Yet he chooses to follow his heart or for whatever reason. I, for one, respect him for that.

Isn't love not enough? Who should/should not have a right or be entitled/worth to love or to be loved?

I have two friends who are 'disabled' just got married last year. Their first child was just born last month.

If I make a documentary about 'odd couples' as mentioned above (man-man, an old woman-a young boy, a government officer-a prostitute...), you think it will be interesting?

I will make one anyway- when I have equipment and 'subjects', of course.

3 comments:

arcibaldo said...

interesting theme to film about. you should try looking into films from my country (philippines) which have explored a lot of themes about "wrong" relationships and sexual themes. it might give you a different perspective also when you make that best lao film.

i can try to get you these films if they have english subtitles/dubs.

xaisongkham said...

Thanks. I watched Midnight Dancers in class when I was studying film before. Other than that I have not had a chance to watch any films from your country.

arcibaldo said...

i'm not much of a film buff but i have watched fairly a number of films (which sadly does not include midnight dancers). my brother is (and does local and foreign film reviews as a hobby here -- oggsmoggs.blogspot.com) and has a good collection.