Sunday, May 14, 2006

There were things I’d never do again. But then they’d always seemed right.

(April-May)

Had two cans of Coke in one day. Cos “food tastes better with Coke”

Watched telly the whole weekend. Cos I hate going out when it rains.

Borrowed four books at one time from a library; never finished reading them. And always returned them late. I just don’t know why.

Watched three midnight movies in cinema in one month! Cos I’m always released from work late and need to “escape from reality” once in a while.

Wandered around a Thai market like a hooker. Cos I feel like home here.

Visited a CashConverter store just to search for American Idol CDs. Cos they sell CDs at cheaper price and I like listening to Idol CDs.

Watched American Idol on weekday and still watched its encore telecast on Sunday. Cos I am a big fan.

Had late lunch and late dinner almost everyday. Cos I’m hard-working and working late.

Ate Burger King just to get a contest coupon “UPSIZE & WIN tickets to “AMERICAN IDOL” Finals in Hollywood”. Cos I won a Nokia phone from them once and am a big fan of the Idol.

Drank four glasses of beer in one month; two glasses at a Thai Karaoke pub, one and ¾, at Marina Bay, and ¼, at Brewerkz. Cos in my culture it’s considered impolite to refuse a drink or two (beer included) when offered by a friend or someone more senior. Cos “Declining an offer is tantamount to rejecting friendship”.

Bought a T-shirt too tight and too small for my own good. Cos I thought it would show off my body (ahem). Cos’ I work hard for it (ahem).

Told a white lie about working at “Singapore Embassy”. Cos it’s fun to bluff people. And Cos I’m good at “manipulating the truth”.

Fell asleep at the wrong place and at the wrong time. Cos I’m awake at night but fall asleep in the office. Cos I suffer from insomnia and my place is near a market and clinic. Cos they start their business very early.

Told another lie (true lie) about me being from Thailand. Cos I hate having to explain that Laos is a country itself, not part of Thailand nor a capital city of Myanmar or Cambodia, for that matter. Cos it’s disturbing to learn that some people are just ignorant.

Bought newspaper from 7-Eleven instead of from a small store below my block. Cos a store owner once shouted at me in Malay in front of other customers. Cos he thought I didn’t pay for a paper. Though he apologized and patted me on the back, I’m still too traumatized to buy stuff from his store thereafter.

And list goes on…

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting thought dude. Whoa! What kind of job is this? late lunch, late dinner and can't go home on time. I think you are abused by your company. Tell them to hire a maid, so they can have her for 24 hours then. I just hate company that take advantage of their staff...#$%^^$%&

Better see a doc for your insomnia. Thare's nothing much you can do in Singapore if you can sleep.

Anonymous said...

haha... I mean if you can't sleep. I'm getting sleepy now! Too bad for you dude. Guess you have to continue counting stars and sheeps.

xaisongkham said...

I am an editor. That's what almost all editors in Singapore do; they are over-worked, under-paid, over-stressed...I'm just not used to it yet.

One of my editor friend just went to see a psychologist. Maybe I should do that too.

Anonymous said...

Then quit your job dude. What kind of f&^*^ company is that. I feel sad for your friend. Though I know nothing about your job, I reckoned you are abused badly. Complain to the whatever ministry of labour man. Don't let this evil employer take advantage of you. You are a foreigner right? Maybe that's why. Come to think of it, almost all Singaporean are under paid and overwork.

xaisongkham said...

Thanks man for your encouragement. It's not easy to get a job in media industry here. My bosses(I have two bosses) are nice. They treat me well enough. And there are lots of things for me to learn from the job. I try not to complain so much.

What doesn't kill could make you stronger.

What do you do for living, Mr/Ms Anonymous? Are you the same person who commented on my AMK library's post?

Anonymous said...

AMK Library? Reckoned you got the wrong person dude. Me, a lousy waiter working in a lousy hotel serving lousy customer. Yawn.....nn. You were a waiter too right?

Anonymous said...

lolz.. haha, esp. the last one.. the uncle shout at you?

xaisongkham said...

You don't seem to enjoy your work so much.

Yah I worked as a waiter before. I worked for a Thai restaurant at Holland V (it's been closed down now), Tavern (I passed by the restaurant few weeks ago and saw few guys whom I used to work with 4 years back. They're still there!), then Mr Bean, Shangri-la, and Sleepy's Sam.

He was told by a lady inside the shop that I didn't pay for the paper. So he ran after me. You know the old man who looks very fierce in the shop? Apparently the girl mistook me. At the end he apologised and scolded the girl instead.