Monday, May 08, 2006

Now I can call myself an award-winning director!

I’m so happy. I can’t contain it. And I have to share it. I feel like I’m on top of the world. Some people may say our FYP video is overrated. Hey some people don’t like it, but some people do. There are things I wish I could have covered and inserted in our video, though. For example, I should have spent one night with Mr. Leum, our main subject, on the island where he lives and fishes alone, talking to him and watching him doing his routines; then from the other side of the island, we would use our second camera to shoot. You would see a dim light from his hut against the big sky full of million bright stars. You would hear Mr. Leum talking from far with music from the radio as a background. You would hear ambient sounds from the streaming Mekhong river and the chirping of crickets. And how I wish I should have shot the scene when Mr. Leum and his daughter were having an argument; she wanted him to stay in Vientiane longer, but he just wanted to go back fishing. But well, given a chance we always wish to do things differently, don’t we?

It’s not that bad now that we won an award for our video. It gives me a sense of accomplishment however small. And it makes me want to do more documentaries or even movies. It feels great to be appreciated.

“Against the Tide”

Director: Xaisongkham Induangchanthy
Producer: Tan Wee Liang
Editor: Farah Iqbal
Sound: Foo Soo Hian

-Outstanding Documentary, 4th Annual University Student Film and TV Festival in the Greater China Region 2006, Hong Kong
-Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival 2006, New York
-TV Mobile 2006, Singapore

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations!

Anonymous said...

congratulation! ask your boss for a salary raise. Otherwise quit and go somewhere else. Is your award prestigious? Does it help in your line of work? So you are director or editor dude?

cheers

Anonymous said...

Congrat, Bro!!! :) You are featured in my blog too :), Mr. Documentary STAR ;)

xaisongkham said...

Thank you all. I was a director for this video. I'm now working as a video editor.

Not a right time to ask for a salary raise yet. My company helps me a lot with my employment pass and PR applications. So you know, it's not very appropriate to ask now.