Saturday, July 23, 2005

Security Check my Ass!

My siblings and I were heading home from Sentosa,thanks to TUesday Group, and out of the sudden, we were stopped by two security guards who stationed inside Harbour Front MRT."Sorry sir, could we check your bag," commanded one of them. They were armed with a pen each. "Why you stopped us and not others?" asked me. " It's just a random check, sir," said he. "But why us? Is it because of our appearances?" I was irritated. I wasn't trying to be difficult; I was just a bit embarrassed inside MRT and in front of the crowd rushing home from Sentosa. "No sir, it's just a random check. Please open your bags," he pointed his pen to our bags. My sister looked terrified and embarrassed. Inside her bag there was her wet-cloths. "Please open the plastic bag...Ok. Thank you." We walked away after "security check" and my sister asked me what it was about and why they had to check us. "Maybe they were afraid we're illegal immigrants," said my brother.

I've got nothing against this so-called security check;I just feel irritated and insulted by the fact that people still stereotype or classify other people by their appearances and races. Only dark-skinned people commit a crime? Only average or below-average-looking people do evil things?

Oh how naive are you! If I were a bomber, I wouldn't carry my bag around looking suspicious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry xai. i am deeply apologetic for not turning up on saturday and sunday. hope you are doing well outside while i'm suffering (from boredom) in camp for my annual reservist.

xaisongkham said...

Just the thought of turning up is great enough. Really thanks for your hospitality during the dinner at Chinatown.