Friday, November 28, 2008

Money! Money! Money!

I’m not very proud to admit this.

Last month, my older brother called and asked me if I could send him some money because he wanted to buy a motorbike, a second-hand one, as he’s been cycling his whole life to work and to somewhere else besides to work. I promised him I would give him some money when I received my next pay cheque. So I did yesterday. He then called me today to inform me that he might be using money for something else; he has been promoted after more than 10 years of working in the army, and he had already treated lots of people. So he needed the money to pay his debt. I angrily scolded him. He said he was very sorry.

Now I’m sorry.

Why did I have to scold him? Why did I not congratulate him on his promotion, instead? Is it because of the money? Is it because I felt he was lying to me? I’m not sure.

Every time my friends back home ring, I always assume that they only have one agenda, that is asking me for help, financially. So do my siblings. I become paranoid (if that’s the right word) and cold.

Now I understand why the well-to-do people often look down on other people.

But I’m not even remotely there yet. I still don’t have my own shelter called home. I still ride a bicycle to work. I still have to borrow money from my colleague at the end of the month from time to time…How come I have already exhibited THAT attitude?

9 comments:

arcibaldo said...

they say that money is the root of all evil... seems we can't get enough of earning just enough to live. it's when we have little, we want more, and when we get more, we just can't resist from getting even more.

i've experienced something similar many times. i also can't find the reason, but maybe, it's because if i were the one to spend the money, i would have been more practical and thrifty, which is not the case for a friend or a family member who borrowed.

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like the blog.
It is beautiful.
Sorry not write more, but my English is bad writing.
A hug from Portugal

Unknown said...

Xai... you are still too kind as I know you back in NTU. :) Something you need to learn to love yourself a bit more before you start spreading the love to others ya? Same with money.

Unknown said...

BTW, it's me, Alvin - http://alvinology.wordpress.com

xaisongkham said...

Yeah, I can't really ignore/say no to them. Actually, I don't really mind helping them, my siblings, as long as they appreciate my help.

Anonymous said...

they appreciate your help xai... :)

like to read your stories. write more!

xaisongkham said...

Thanks bro. I always admire those who can write well. I hate writing, though. But I will have to try to write as much as I can as part of preparing for my study. I hope I don't have to write too many essays when I'm in uni again.

Anonymous said...

hello dear.. miss ya! today ttg met up n one of the things we watched was "the extras-christmas special". it has some issues exactly like what u touched on here... more on fame than money, but very nice story, do try see it online if u can.

i love ur blog, this is the first im seeing it after a long time.. its really nice to hear how u are getting on.

take care n keep in touch, k? *hugz* ~daa*

xaisongkham said...

Thanks, Rauda. And *hugz* back.